Experience Lvl. 3
My experience with Microsoft Word is pretty basic because I've mainly used it for writing and small class assignments in different computer classes I have used. I'm an avid writer and I enjoy writing creatively so I'm used to experiencing different texts within that range. Honestly, I can't remember many teachers using Microsoft past showing a syllabus to the class, especially after the Google Drive was introduced and they were able to share everything with us through that.
I haven't looked too much into copyright on my own but family members have talked to me about copyrighting different scripts I have worked on. I know it goes hand in hand with plagiarism and that is something that was always frowned upon in any space and still is. As a teacher, it would be my job not to scare my students about failing but to educate them on why it's a poor choice. I think this could be accomplished by doing lessons that include different students being subjected to their hard work having someone else's name on them. Something to really get across what the author of different sources they may use would feel if they knew their work was being stolen.
I think academic honesty is something far more easily achieved now that we have technology in the classroom. Teachers are able to give test and quizzes on screen and watch where their students roam or are able to lock down their screens so that they can't roam. Also with different programs like Turn-It-In scanning for possible plagiarism, teachers almost don't have to worry about doing too much background checking! Privacy is something I find to be almost impossible to achieve on certain technological outlets like social media but I think there could be a way to achieve it in class when there are certain assignments that have to be done online. What I've learned just this semester is that you can never go wrong with aliases. Students, I think, should come up with several to keep themselves hidden from the open eye of anyone online. It would also be my job to educate them on privacy settings that are located within whatever online program I am having them use.
Cyberbullying is a monster of its own and it stems from things like insecurity or improper self-care or forced stereotypes. Though it may not be true for every bully, many of them only seek to inflict harm because they are suffering in some way on their own. The first step to eradicating this from the classroom is to be adamant about letting the students know they are free to have an honest dialogue with me about anything that may be bothering them so I can help them myself or find the right help for them. Encourage opinions to be shared and accepted respectfully in class so that one knows how to do it online. If the bullying still arises and persists it's important to act quickly and cut it before it grows. Educate the bully in a way that doesn't make them mad at the person they've chosen to victimize. When there is an apology said the victim should never be expected to respond with "it's okay" when in fact it isn't! Teach this. Students are heavily impacted by their teachers and it's up to us to shed a bright light on what is right and wrong in this world.
10+XP
I agree with you that academic honesty is easier to be achieved with the assistant of technology. However, catching the academic dishonesty is not educator's ultimate goal. Helping students to respect others' work and be proud of their own work is more important.
ReplyDelete